I read this and cried. To progress and finding more cures for all disease so we may all live such happy, long, healthy lives.
Theo James, Douglas Booth and George MacKay for GQ Magazine (x)
5 Fast Facts about LUPUS
1 - Lupus is an autoimmune, rheumatic disease.
In lupus, the immune system of the body attacks its own cells and tissues. Specifically, the joints, skin, kidneys, lungs, heart, nervous system, and other organs of the body are affected.
2 - There are five types of lupus.
- Systemic lupus erythematosus - affects joints and organs
- Discoid lupus - affects the skin
- Sub-acute cutaneous lupus erythematosus - characterized by a specific, non-scarring skin lesion
- Drug-induced lupus - develops after a drug reaction
- Neonatal lupus - affects newborns
3 - Ninety percent of lupus patients are women.
Lupus affects roughly 10 times as many women as men. Most often, lupus develops in people 18 to 45 years old. Though lupus is most prevalent among women, it also may affect men and children, as well as people of all ages.
4 - There are 11 American College of Rheumatology criteria for Lupus.
Lupus is differentiated from other connective tissue diseases, based on eleven criteria offered by the American College of Rheumatology for classification purposes.
- Butterfly-shaped rash across cheeks and nose
- Scaly disk-shaped rash on face, neck, ears, scalp, chest
- Sunlight sensitivity
- Mouth sores, tongue sores, inside nose sores
- Arthritis pain in joints
- Pain in chest and side when breathing or moving
- Kidney problems
- Neurologic problems
- Blood problems such as anemia, low white cell count
- Immune system malfunction
- Antinuclear antibodies
5 - Lupus diagnosis may be difficult.
Lupus is considered an unpredictable disease, with no two cases exactly the same. The unique pattern of symptoms associated with lupus has caused some to say that lupus is like a snowflake. No two are alike. There are several symptoms of lupus which mimic other rheumatic diseases (e.g., severe fatigue), making the diagnostic process difficult.
Lol oh Colton
A few reminders to my followers and anyone who needs it~